Friday 3 July 2009

Dimsum lunch at Peach Garden (OCBC Centre)


Peach Garden is one of my grandma's favourite Chinese restaurants, cuz of the consistently superb food and service. Their jumbo prawns in wasabi mayo sauce with fresh mango is really delish, and my dad loves their siew yoke and roast duck. Come to think of it, should have brought Siew Yoke there when he was back.
Anyway, this was a team lunch to welcome the newcomer to our team. We basically first ordered everything on the dimsum menu to try, then ordered seconds of whatever we liked. Which means that we ended up with lots of food and very happy bellies. I'll just mention the dishes that stood out:
The good- the har gau, siew mai, char siew pau, fried beancurd roll with prawns and congee were all well executed. I'm a har gau fiend (i can eat 2 baskets of har gau on my own), but had to control myself since I was lunching with colleagues :( wish i could have had the entire basket of hargau to myself!) The char siew sou also deserves special mention for being flaky and crumbly without being messy to eat, and the not too sweet filling went down well with me. Nowhere near Wah Lok's standard though- i think their char siew sou is pretty much unsurpassable in Sg :)
The bad- The filling in the custard pau with salted egg yolk was abit too runny and salty for my liking, and I would have preferred whole prawns in the prawn cheong fun rather than small pieces of chopped up prawns held together to resemble a whole prawn. Also, I found their egg tarts a little too sweet and artificial tasting.
As i'm not very fond of pork, I didnt try the xiao long bao or guo tie. However, feedback fr my colleagues on these 2 dishes was good.
The bill for a table of 9 came up to about S$22 each. Pretty reaonable, considering we were all stuffed. Service was good- tea was consistently refilled, plates were changed and staff did not mix our orders up. A plus would be the nice views fr the 33rd floor of OCBC Centre :)

No comments:

Post a Comment